As one of the most outstanding figures in post-Gutai period in Japanese art scene, Mizu is totally free from the influence of any artists or artistic expressions from the past. He is free from any historical references. His characteristic consists in his exquisite tactile texture and applying `international maritime signal flags` to the work. Especially his expressive usage of blue is sometimes compared to Utagawa Hiroshige’s Ukiyoe painting going back to Edo-period (17-18th centuries).
In terms of style, his work is unmistakable and immediately recognizable from afar but in terms of principle, it goes beyond norms. By using international maritime signal as a motif, Mizu`s work is absolutely representational but at the same time absolutely abstract. And the artist challenges and try to reconcile the representational and the abstract forms beyond finite space.
Born in Tokyo on December 13th in 1944. Started drawing and studied at Musashino Art Academy in his late twenties. After making entry in an Exhibition of Free Art Association and becoming its member, he held his first solo exhibition, then awarded the Free Art Prize in 1983. Through his frequent stay in Rome in 1980s, invited to the First Representational Art Concours in Anzio and awarded special prize in 1987. In the same year, he was requested the creation of stained-glass in the Church of St. Anna in Lavino, Rome. In 1989, stayed in Palma de Mallorca and held exhibition titled `Chagall, Dali, Picasso, Melois and Mizu` at B.I.A.F. Art Inter AG in Barcelona.
- Born in Tokyo, Japan
- Studied at Musashino Art School
- Join Jiyu Art Association
- Group exhibition at Art Basel 16-19, Basel, Switzerland
- Group exhibition `Chagall, Dali, Picasso, Melois, and Mizù` at B.I. A.F. Art Inter AG, Barcelona, Spain
- Solo show in Brussels and Budapest
- Joint Exhibition with the work of Dali in BEAUNE, France
- FIAC, Paris, France
- Solo show at Musee de la Marine, France
- Solo show at Palais de Chaillot, France)
- Group exhibition at Art Basel 26-32, Basel, Switzerland
- Solo show at National Maritime Museum, Rotterdam, Netherland
- Group exhibition at Art Miami Context, Miami, USA
- Group exhibition at LA Art Show, Los Angels, USA
- Group exhibition at Art Rio, Feira Internacional de Arte do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil